BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whiteheads of Greenbank House, Chesham

2 posters

Go down

Whiteheads of Greenbank House, Chesham Empty Whiteheads of Greenbank House, Chesham

Post  HowLane Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Hello Everyone,
                   my topic concerns the Whitehead family of Greenbank(now a small wood). Percy Kay Whitehead married Dorothy Myrtle Wike(1889-1972), and had two children, Kenneth G. Whitehead(1913-2004) and Elizabeth Myrtle Whitehead(1915-2006).
   My aunts Lily and Madeleine attended Mrs. Whitehead's poor Bury girls dancing classes in the mid-1930s, with Lily being a favourite of Mrs. Whitehead. Madeleine said she "...had a posh voice and a kind face and drove a big black car." Mrs. Whitehead was a magistrate, a one-time head of St. Paul's Womens Institute and, as has been mentioned in previous posts on this site, was involved with the Guernsey Evacuees at Danesmoor, once occupied by her father, George Wike.
  My need: photographs of Dorothy and/or Elizabeth required for my first attempt at scriptwriting for T.V.
  Aunt Lily met her when Dorothy was approaching 50 and describes her as about 5' 7", thin, with silver hair in a bun or tail. She mostly wore a tweed jacket and small hat, even indoors.

Yours,

HowLane

Last edited by HowLane on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:42 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Attachment attempt failed)

HowLane

Back to top Go down

Whiteheads of Greenbank House, Chesham Empty Whiteheads

Post  Mike D Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:22 am

Hi HowLane,

Thank you for posting the info of Mrs Whitehead. A very interesting read. Unfortunately I have no photographs of the family, but I have been piecing together a family tree. My main point of interest is Greenbank itself (in addition to Helensholme/Danesmoor House and Chesham Hall where the Walker family lived) and the families who lived there in the time it existed.

My ultimate aim is to piece together as much as possible about these grand houses and their families and put into a book. I vaguely remember Mrs Whitehead as a small child, and had vivid memories of playing in the house prior to its demolition in the early 1970's.

If you need any assistance please do let me know.

Mike D

Back to top Go down

Whiteheads of Greenbank House, Chesham Empty Greenbank

Post  HowLane Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:07 am

Hello Mike,
             thanks for your reply. As a researcher you probably know about Peter Fernie Whitehead(1919-1933) who died at 14, Olive Mary Whitehead(1911-2003) who married a Prestwich man called Osborn: and another child who died before reaching a year old.
  Elizabeth Myrtle was in newspaper articles twice in the 1930s, once for speeding in Broadclyst, Devon and as a robbery victim in the Lancashire area. A Bury Amateurs researcher friend is trying to find out if Kenneth Whitehead is featured in a film clip of a Gigg Lane match of 1938 on a local history cassette.
  I was one of the first pupils to attend St. Joseph's School on Danesmoor in 1964 and can remember the then rough ground across the road where Danesmoor must have stood.
 Auntie Lily has told me Mrs. Whitehead drove a Baby Austin car in the 1930s. She says she remembers Dorothy as blue-eyed, small and slim.
  I grew up on Littlewood Estate but rarely entered Chesham woods. I like the story of The White Lady.
  I have read that Col. Wike's father lived at Springside House, Summerseat, for a while. There was always something eerie about that site when we as kids wandered about over the ground. About 2000 I saw all kinds of old building masonry set by the side of Springside Road--near the farm--and when I passed by shortly afterwards it had all gone.
  Kenneth Whitehead, according to his relatives, had a wicked sense of humour!

Last edited by HowLane on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct information)

HowLane

Back to top Go down

Whiteheads of Greenbank House, Chesham Empty Re: Whiteheads of Greenbank House, Chesham

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down