BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

elton vale

4 posters

Go down

elton vale Empty elton vale

Post  tomster999 Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:48 pm

I have recently moved in to Elton Vale. I am told this was originally a manor house built by Lord Derby around 1830 which was divided into two separate dwellings around 1950. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who can provide any information/pictures regarding the history of this property and it's original owner. Thank you in advance.

tomster999

Back to top Go down

elton vale Empty Elton Vale House

Post  HowLane Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:11 am

Hello tomster999,
has Elton Vale ever been called Elton House? In the 1891 census Col. Wike lived in Elton House. In the OS map of 1908 there is an Elton Vale House. Could all three names be of the same property?

How Lane

HowLane

Back to top Go down

elton vale Empty Elton House

Post  Roy Turner Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:50 pm

Hello tomster999,
Elton House was also shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey 6" map of 1870 so the date would fit. Unfortunately I have no pictures available.

Roy Turner

Roy Turner

http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

elton vale Empty Re: elton vale

Post  tomster999 Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi All,
thanks for your responses. I have done a limited amount of research at the library and seem to have come up with more questions than answers!
I have been given some copies of maps (not sure if they are O.S. or land registry etc but the story seems to run something like this ;

1893 - the house appears to be called Elton Cottage with Elton House appearing slightly nearer the old bleach works.
1930 - property looks like it has been divided into two. One half called Elton Grange and my half called The Grange.
1937 - the two halves are now called Elton Grange and Elton Vale respectively. These names continue to the present. I have discovered that Colonel Wike did live at Elton House but if the naming is correct it appears this is not my property. Colonel Wike was also the Mayor of Bury for a time.

Why is everything complicated!

tomster999

Back to top Go down

elton vale Empty Elton Vale

Post  HowLane Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:54 am

Hello tomster999,
have you heard of Mr. Walter Mucklow of Elton Cottage, born 1850, died 1903. He was living at Elton Cottage in 1881 and was a friend of Col Wike. They both attended a massive high-society wedding ceremony at Darwen in 1895. Perhaps he lived in your house once?

HowLane

HowLane

Back to top Go down

elton vale Empty Elton House

Post  Roy Turner Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:47 am

I have just looked in Bury Image Bank on http://www.buryimagebank.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=b01234 and there is a photograph of Elton House there. Is that your house?

Roy Turner.

Roy Turner

http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

elton vale Empty Walter Mucklow Gravestone

Post  HowLane Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:37 am

Hello tomster999,
there is a gravestone photo of Walter Mucklow on the internet. He lived at Elton Grange.

HowLane

HowLane

Back to top Go down

Post  tomster999 Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi All,
thanks again for the replies. The photo is definitely not my house. I have walked down the lane and the house pictured is still in use (flats I think) and still called Elton House. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the area or have been there recently but mine is the house that was painted pink but is now white. As for Walter Mucklow, I am not familiar with the name but I will pursue this avenue as and when I get some free time.

tomster999

Back to top Go down

elton vale Empty ELTON VALE HOUSE

Post  jpmurray681 Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:55 am

ON THE 1908 LOCAL MAP FOR BURY WEST, AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE IN THE LIBRARY, ELTON VALE IS THE HOUSE ON THE CORNER OF GREENHILL RD. LOOK TO THE RIGHT AS YOU EXIT ELTON VALE RD.
NO OTHER PROPERTIES STOOD ON THAT SIDE OF AINSWORTH RD AT THAT TIME APART FROM CROW TREES A BIT FURTHER DOWN

jpmurray681

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down