BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disappearing Ancient Burrs

2 posters

Go down

Disappearing Ancient Burrs Empty Disappearing Ancient Burrs

Post  HowLane Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Does anyone remember the tumulus-like hump in the field opposite the Brown Cow Inn that bordered the right of way path and was roughly where the perimeter of Burrs Caravan park is now located? In 1988 sewerage pipe laying work erased the hump.
  On the top of Castlesteads hill were two pond-like bowls dug into the earth. I have a photograph of one taken in the 1990s. It was after the archaeological survey in the early 90s--that discovered the remains of the hill fort on the top of the hill--that these two ponds disappeared. They were like pond barrows of ancient times, but were smaller than the ones found mostly in southern England.
  I have another photograph that could show the outline of something like a building or animal pen but this is now part of recent history since the caravan park was built over it.
  Moving on to Summerseat, has anyone seen, and have any opinions regarding a large barrow-like mound in a field on the opposite side of the railway line to where Springside House was located. This is next to the railway line and just before the wooded area across from the fishing lodge.
  I was born in Arbour Close and the Burrs was my "park"for 18 years.
Metal-detectrists may be interested to know that in 1992 'Someone' detected on the Castlesteads slope a strip of metal hidden inside a tree trunk in a tree several yards away from the railway line. It was about 16 inches long in a vertical position about 5 feet up in the trunk. 'Someone' decided it had to stay where it was. A few days later an unknown person burned out whatever was in the tree--the charred mark is probably still visible.
  In 1994 'Someone' was shown and allowed to handle the bottom part of half an old type of sword, that was "..found during renovation work".
  Excaliburrs?
Does anyone know if the large marker stone that was sited within where the caravan park is now, is still in place? I photographed this in the 1990s. If it is not still there, then where is it?

Last edited by HowLane on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)

HowLane

Back to top Go down

Disappearing Ancient Burrs Empty MORE MEMORIES OF BURRS

Post  jpmurray681 Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:09 am

I lived in brandlesholme till early in 1961 when i was 12 and have memories of the area. I still live a 20 minute walk away and am surprised that no one else had any comments to make about this interesting place.
I'm sure I can remember the mill building still standing, (when was it demolished ?) Also, I can remember a cricket field which was used by Kenyons, (I think),
I'm not aware of any tumuli or barrows but in my young days I didnt know they existed. What does interest me is the supposed fort on Castlesteads and where I can find info on any digs which have taken place.
Another couple of things of interest are firstly that the army used to do target practise just below the hill and the mound which stopped the bullets is still there where a track leads to a gate at the back of the caravan park. The other thing which I'm sure I've seen on an old map is that some sort of bridge used to span the Irwell joining Springside farm to a track leading to Springside View on the Brangy side of the river.
Any thoughts on any of these few items or any more info ?

jpmurray681

Back to top Go down

Disappearing Ancient Burrs Empty Hidden Past

Post  HowLane Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:05 am

Hello jpmurray681,
                       perhaps the reason for the lack of responses to my post is that until the commercial invasion of the Burrs it was like a place haunted by the ghosts of the past. Do you remember the hawthorn hedges ripped out a section at a time over the years. I have photos of them all. I have a photo of the mill near the Brown Cow taken in 1974. My friends entered the dilapidated building in 1972 and told me the walls were full of Italian graffiti. We called the remains of the riverside mill near Seedfield, "Dead Man City".
   I happened to meet Mark Fletcher--head of the Castle Steads archaeological dig--as he was packing up his gear on the hill top. I asked him why he thought there had been a hill fort. He said he had found post holes on the hill and Iron Age pottery in the river. This fort was in place in AD 61 when Boudicca revolted , but Queen Cartimandua, leader of the Brigantes who probably occupied the Bury area, was a client ruler of Rome so would not have been involved in the revolt.
  The old bridge at Walmersley Brook, Springside certainly existed. In the mid-nineties the river level dropped low enough at the junction of Walmersley Brook and the Irwell to expose the cut stones that must have been the base of the bridge. I have photos of these.
  In the 1960s on the site where the agricultural shows take place, clay pigeon shooting used to be engaged in every Sunday and football matches also took place there.
  The ancient Britons  believed their ancestors were watching from "the other world" and sometimes interfered in people's lives. I wonder if they are watching now.

There is an interesting internet site: "Burrs POW--Lancashire at War" which tells the story of a local Italian hero, Santo Verde.
We used to collect lead bullets from the butts on Castlesteads to add to our scrap metal collections. Others collected old bottles and ink wells etc, for sale, from the old rubbish tips at the bottom of Arbour Close. Our dog was the one who was first to unearth them.

Last edited by HowLane on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional information)

HowLane

Back to top Go down

Disappearing Ancient Burrs Empty Re: Disappearing Ancient Burrs

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down