BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religious Sects 1840's Shuttleworth area

Go down

Religious Sects 1840's Shuttleworth area Empty Religious Sects 1840's Shuttleworth area

Post  Admin Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:54 am

Janice Pedder
Date: 21/10/2007 16:51:06
Subject: Religious Sects 1840's Shuttleworth area

I have come across a number of strange names, firstly on the 1861 census and then checking births registered in Bury. Anbah Jepherah, Eden Elizabeth, Zerah Zuriel, Alaxandrina Lettilla, -all Dewhurst. Born 1840 - 1849 and an Armenius b 1860.
The only explanation I can come up with is some kind of religious sect in the area. Has anyone any ideas?
Incidentally the first 3 children of the Dewhurst family were Catherine, Margaret and Michael.

Admin
Admin

http://www.burylhs.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Religious Sects 1840's Shuttleworth area Empty re. Religious Sects 1840's Shuttleworth area

Post  Admin Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:57 am

Tom Holt
Date: 31/10/2007 01:30:54
Subject: re. Religious Sects 1840's Shuttleworth area

This is very interesting. In the 1950s, parts of Shuttleworth were a known locally as a centre for Jehovah's Witnesses. The formation of this religious group in the 1870s was partly influenced by the Bible reading preaching of the Second Adventists, who had predicted the second coming to occur about 1844. In turn, the Adventists came from various Non-Conformist sources, particularly Baptists. I wonder if Shuttleworth has a strong history of religious dissent? The burst of Biblical naming could have been promoted by Adventism, followed by a return to conventions as the predictions proved false. Adventist preachers from Europe went to the States and vice versa. Note the following email from a child-naming discussion group in the States:

On Biblical names, I have a great great grandmother born in the early 1840s
whose name was Azubah Zipporah Dewhurst.

Her siblings? Also largely Biblical: Zerah Zuriel, Alexandrine Zetilla
and, oddly, plain old Eden Elizabeth (aka Ada). Which actually has a lot to
do with where Holly Alexandra Eden came from -- I didn't quite think I could
sneak Alexandrine past dh, and he totally nixed Zetilla (Tilly).

Azubah Zipporah's children, born in the mid 1860s --

Frances Zipporah (known as Fanny)
Elizabeth Sarah (my great grandmother; known as Sarah)
Rachel Alice (rather a nice one, that, I always think)
and, of course,
Zetilla (known as Tilly, the tragic one who died "young" -- 60, it turned
out when I investigated -- as my mother was frequently reminded by her 70-80
year old grandmother and aunts.)

Rachel's daughter? A last Zetilla. And someone had, I believe, another
Azubah Zipporah. And so ended the freakish streak.

Please note that the above is speculation. I'm no expert on dissenting, or conforming, religions.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Religious Sects 1840's Shuttleworth area Empty Religious sects 1840 Shuttleworth

Post  Admin Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:00 am

Jim Lancaster
Date: 18/11/2007 11:45:54
Subject: Religious sects 1840 Shuttleworth

Hi, Janice,

There was a string of Independent chapels to the north of Bury and Bolton which eventually became either Unitarian or United Reformed Church.(URC). Many of these still exist and there are other groups. There are/were a small number of Baptist chapels, and the later Methodist chapels were more numerous. There was a group (the Swedenborgian or New Jerusalem Church) for which the Bury area was, and is, a major centre. This last group no longer has any chapels to the north of Bury.

These forenames seem to have an Old Testament ring about them

Anbah - there was no reference to this name in the on-line sources I use.
Jepherah - again no reference, but could be a variant of Japheth, or Jephthah, orJephunneh
Eden - some of the Independent churches used virtues and place names as forenames.
Zerah - a name given to several men in the OT
Zuriel - a chief of the Merarites
Alaxandrina - an expanded form of Alice??
Lettilla - probably a variant of Laetitia (from laetare - to rejoice), as also Lettice
Arminius - a Dutch Protestant theologian ca 1600. His teachings influenced John Wesley, and hence Methodist theology

The idea that the family were non-conformist is supported by the fact the Eden Elizabeth died as an 8 month old infant and was buried in Rowlands Methodist graveyard, whilst Zerah Zuriel was probably married in a non-Anglican chapel in 1868. However, a son of Zerah Zuriel was baptised in Holcombe Emmanuel CE Church in 1873

Hope this helps

Jim Lancaster

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Religious Sects 1840's Shuttleworth area Empty Re: Religious Sects 1840's Shuttleworth area

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down