BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROMANS AND BEFORE

Go down

ROMANS AND BEFORE Empty ROMANS AND BEFORE

Post  jpmurray681 Tue May 19, 2015 8:18 am

I've been fascinated for years by roman roads and regularly go looking to see if I can spot any signs which I may have missed before. I think my interest may have been sparked by the fact that the road between manchester and ribchester passed a mile or so to the north of where i lived, at Cockey Moor (more of that later).
During one of these searches I began to look at airial pictures from the web to see if anything new showed up. I scanned from Cockey Moor past Whitehead lodges and up to watling st as it heads towards Affetside. Just as you reach the bottom end of watling st there is a farm on the left called Isherwoods where the the hump of the road (known as the agger) can be plainly seen in the field to the right of the farm(as you look north).
It can also be plainly seen on the airial shot but what is even more interesting is that to the left of the farm can be seen distinct round shapes with apparent entrances which,to anyone who has watched Time Team, look like very ancient traces of habitations.
The grid reference for Isherwoods is 721126 and is for the West Pennine Moors map.
I'd be interested if anyone had any comments on the subject.
With reference to the Cockey Moor connection, historians have long known that there is a long lost roman town in Lancashire known as Coccium and have speculated that it may be around here ie Cockey Moor, the moor where Coccium is situated. CURIOUS and worth a look.

jpmurray681

Back to top Go down

ROMANS AND BEFORE Empty romans in the area

Post  jpmurray681 Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:55 pm

I'm quite surprised that no,one has posted a comment re my post about the roman road and the mystery shapes which I pointed out and found quite fascinating.
A new development has occurred which is that the line of the roman road as it passes the farm has been bulldozed and levelled, presumably for building on or storage. Are there no safeguards or restrictions placed on these actions or can our ancient remains be obliterated without a care in the world ?
The next one to go could be the the line of the roman road as it crosses the field opposite the old Jolly Carters pub on Bolton Rd because the site is about to go under the bulldozer and covered in yet more houses on our local green belt land,
The very least that should be done is a controlled dig across the line of the road to record whether anything of interest remains.It is after all about 1800 years old.
Apparently a piece of the site, approximately there, is scheduled to be left unbuilt so maybe it's historical significance has already been recognized, I dont hold out much hope.

jpmurray681

Back to top Go down

ROMANS AND BEFORE Empty more on romans in bury

Post  jpmurray681 Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:55 am

The day after the above post was written I attended my first monthly meeting to see if the format involved a discussion period at which I might raise my current pet subject. The meeting featured an interesting talk and slide show about 3 Manchester railway stations which I enjoyed after which the meeting was hurriedly brought to a close .I accepted the situation and thought I'd show my interest by buying the quarterly magazine and then I took my leave.
Imagine my surprise when I found that my original post had been included in the magazine word for word and that there was another article showing the line of the roman road as it comes across the present Bolton road at the
Jolly Carters pub.
Hopefully it may create more interest in a fascinating subject.

jpmurray681

Back to top Go down

ROMANS AND BEFORE Empty romans and before

Post  jpmurray681 Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm keeping a close eye on the housing development opposite the jolly carters and at the moment the line of the roman road is still intact. Whether that state of affairs will continue, I have no idea.
Is there a local archaeology unit that could have an input into whether our history is kept intact or destroyed or is it left to our wonderful planning department. I do not live in hope.

jpmurray681

Back to top Go down

ROMANS AND BEFORE Empty Re: ROMANS AND BEFORE

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum