BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tommy Thompson

3 posters

Go down

Tommy Thompson Empty Tommy Thompson

Post  DFELTON Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:11 am

Can anyone help with why there is such a limited amount of knowledge about Tommy Thompson available and can more details of his life and achievements be found.
I have just finished reading his autobiography and from that and other sources I have the following facts:-
Born Bury in 1880. in vicinity of gas works, father from Ulverston mother (maiden name Greenhalgh). Left school aged 10 to work part time in cotton mill. Trained as a Book Binder. One of three children. Married and had a son.
Wrote articles for local newspapers, and Manchester Guardian. Wrote a play and a number of books in Lancashire
dialect as well as broadcasts on BBC radio. He is credited as one of the writers on the film "A Spy for a Day".
He died in 1951.
I suppose he is most famous for the series of radio plays of the late 1940s titled "Under the Barber's Pole" starring Wilfred Pickles. These plays were published as the book of the same title in 1947.
I believe that Tommy Thompsons work in promoting the Lancashire Dialect should be given far more recognition especially in his home town.

Roy Kirkman

DFELTON

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicky Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:18 pm

Dear Mr Kirkman, I was interested in your recent post on Tommy Thompson. I am very fond of his work (but I must confess to being biased as I am his granddaughter). He was born in Wood Street, Elton and wrote 16 books, numerous newspapper articles, radio scripts, and even worked on a film script - Penny Paradise staring Betty Driver. He was awarded an honorary degree from Manchester University for his dialect work. All of his books are unfortunately out of print, but they often crop up second hand on line. I would be gllad to help with any more information.

Nicky

Back to top Go down

Post  DFELTON Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:01 am

Dear Nicky,
Thank you for your reply, my interest started in the late 1940's, we had a copy of "Under the Barber's Pole" at home and my father told me that the author had a barbers shops in Crostons Road. After reading his autobiography I find this highly unlikely. Perhaps you could confirm?
I have a copy of "Under the Barber's Pole" bought recently from Amazon, who have other titles available from time to time.

Best wishes,
Roy Kirkman

DFELTON

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicky Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:39 am

Granddad never had a barber's shop. After a number of small jobs in his youth (working in a mill, delivery boy etc) he qualified and worked as a bookbinder. He didn't start writting until his fifties. I think his first article in print was a poem in dialect in the bookbinder journal. His father was indentured as a clog sole cutter and may have had a clog shop in the area. His mother was a mill worker. I think there might have been a barber's shop nearby that inspired the stories. I also think his 'Plum Street' articles in the MG were taken from local charicters. I have all the 'Under the Barber's Pole' scripts as well as the book. I am glad you enjoy his work. Regards, Nicky

Nicky

Back to top Go down

Post  Jean Hornby Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:40 am

Glad someone in Bury is interested in TT. I am his grandaughter Jean (see dedication in 'Lancashire Rampant'), daughter of Herbert Thompson (his son) and Lilian (nee Wellock).
I was devoted to my grandad who died in 1951, when I was 10.
Nicky and I hold the copyright for his literary works.

Jean.

Jean Hornby

Back to top Go down

Tommy Thompson Empty Re: Tommy Thompson

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down