BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tracing Ancestors

Go down

Tracing Ancestors Empty Tracing Ancestors

Post  Lesley Blackburn Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi

My great grandmother Sarah Emily Edwards was born in Cefn Mawr in Denbighshire. We know that she came to Bury sometime after 1891 and when she married my great grandad, Ernest Warburton on 26th May 1900 at Christ Church Walshaw she was living at 4 Irwell Street, Walmersley and was a Winder. He was living at 75 Belle Vue Terrace, Walshaw. I have managed to locate 4 Irwell Street, Walmersley on the 1891 Census when a Stephen Simpson lived there with his family (but no mention of Sarah Emily). I haven’t been able to locate 4 Irwell Street on the 1901 Census. I understand that Irwell Street, Walmersley no longer exists. We assume that she either rented the property or was a border. We don't know why she came to Summerseat / Bury from Cefn Mawr but assume it was for the work. Was that normal? How would she have gone about it - getting the employment and getting fixed up with accommodation? It seems quite daunting for someone so young at that time. As far as we know she went to Bury on her own. Something else you may be able to help with is my great great great grandfather Abraham Warburton married a Selina Hamer in 1847 at St Mary's Bury - her father was known as Squire Hamer - would Squire be a title or his christian name? It's difficult to tell on the Census Form.

Lesley

Lesley Blackburn

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum