BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bethel Independant Chapel

2 posters

Go down

Bethel Independant Chapel Empty Bethel Independant Chapel

Post  inkie Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:16 pm

Hello

Some of my ancestors were married in the Bethel Independant Chapel on Henry Street in Bury in th 1880s. I have tried 'streetmapping' Henry Street,Bury and there is a nil return - I fear that Henry Street, and therefore the church no longer exists. Can anyone shed any light on this? We are taking a trip across to Bury this weekend to see the places where our ancestors lived - Nuttall St, Wash Street, Pimhole, Pine Street, Clerke Street...

Many Thanks

Inkie

inkie

Back to top Go down

Bethel Independant Chapel Empty Bethel Independent Chapel

Post  Roy Turner Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:28 am

Hello Inkie.
Henry Street and Bethel Independent Chapel as you suspected no longer exist, but I have found references to them on our Place Names database from the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1870.
They would be at the Rochdale Road end of Millgate Shopping Centre near what is now Sol Viva night club. There is lots of building going on around here at present but Clerke Street, which you mention, joined Rochdale Road at the southern side of Sol Viva (formerly the Odeon Cinema).
Nuttall St, Pimhole, Pine Street still exist off Rochdale Road/Heywood Street (going towards Heap Bridge). Wash Street I don't know, but Wash Lane goes from Moorgate to Heap Bridge (off the B6222 Bell Lane going towards Rochdale on the old road to Fairfield).
If you are in Bury when the Archive is open (they don't open at weekends) they have the original maps which we surveyed and would probably be able to show you copies of them, but for your reference I have listed below the database references to Henry Street, Bethel Chapel and Union Square (none of which exist now).
I hope you find this information useful.

Place Name: HENRY STREET
OS Grid ref: SD38074108
Place name Area: TOWNSHIP OF BURY
Category Description: STREET
Source of Information: 1ST ED. O. S. 5' MAP
Date of Source: 1870
Information held at: BURY ARCHIVE SERVICE

Place Name: BETHEL CHAPEL
OS Grid ref: SD38074108
Category Description: OTHER BUILDING

Place Name: UNION SQUARE
OS Grid ref: SD38054107
Category Description: STREET

Roy Turner
Bury Local History Society.

Last edited by Roy Turner on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Extra information about Wash Street)

Roy Turner

http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Bethel Independant Chapel Empty Re: Bethel Independant Chapel

Post  inkie Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:35 am

Many thanks for that Roy - we have just returned from a trip across to Bury and have had a wonder down Nuttall Street, and found Wash Lane (it was Lane, not Street - my typo earlier!) and Pimhole - although most of the housing on there seems to be quite modern.
Will be making a trip back when the weather is a bit more favourable!
Thank you for your help!

Inkie

inkie

Back to top Go down

Bethel Independant Chapel Empty Re: Bethel Independant Chapel

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum