BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surfing the website

3 posters

Go down

Surfing the website Empty Surfing the website

Post  Admin Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:51 am

ON: MONDAY, 10TH SEPTEMBER, 2007

I resolved to explore the pages of your new Web Site.

I have still got some of Roy Sandiford's C. D. 's to return to him some day.

I spent Saturday digging an archaeological excavation at Wycoller for their Heritage Open Day. (Pendle Archaeology Group have just - very nearly - published some ground-breaking original scholarship, (and field-walking) on the "Vaccaries of Pendle". It seems very unlikely that we have any bona fide vaccaries in Bury: there was one in Accrington and possibly another at Musbury Tor near Haslingden Grane.

I happen to think we have Drove Roads running through the Burrs, but I was trespassing at the time, and I doubt if there's any documentary evidence.

Personally I am pursuing my research into early Medieval Bury, and have some ideas. But I hope the Editor of the journal will bear with me for a little while yet. I tried my story out on Sarah Gremson who came to speak to us on Pilkington Park, and she fell asleep !

Yours Sincerely,

CHARLES WALKER

Admin
Admin

http://www.burylhs.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Surfing the website Empty Vaccarrie

Post  speakela Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi

I have just logged into the Bury History site and read your post about there being a medieval vaccarrie near Musbury Tor. I am researching ancient and pre-medieval Bury, but I have come across references to the area around the Tor being fenced and used as a deer park for hunting purposes in I think the 1100's. Would you be interested in the info if I dig it out?

kind regards

elaine

speakela

Back to top Go down

Surfing the website Empty Vaccary near Musbury Tor

Post  Roy Turner Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:10 am

Hello Elaine.
Welcome to the Forum.
We would be very interested in the information you have mentioned. Please let us know.
Roy Turner

Roy Turner

http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Surfing the website Empty Re: Surfing the website

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down