BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No 2 Chesham Cottages

2 posters

Go down

No 2 Chesham Cottages Empty No 2 Chesham Cottages

Post  David Platt Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:57 am

Hi All
Can anyone tell me if these Cottages are still standing or have they been taken down to make way for the Nurseing home, I went back to try and find my former home of 1965 ( you can see these in the Image Bank under Chesham Fold ) I lived in 2 in the Corner but to no avail I could not get anywere near.
I lived in this cottage with my mother for a few years and was going to get married and live there but Mrs Huchinson would not have it, she said youll get married then have children no we dont want any noisey children in these Cottages.
The cottage only had four rooms in all, front room, Kitchen, two bedrooms upstairs, No hot water and only a 2" deep sandstone sink in the kitchen and outside toilet round the side of No 1 you had to go through my mothers bedroom to get to mine.
Stairs ran up out of the kitchen into the first bedroom then into mine, mind you to get into bed you had to be careful of the old beam that ran from the front wall to the rear bedroom wall some 2 foot from the ceiling or you could give your head a tidy smack getting into bed.
The front room was about 4 X 4 yds with 2 foot thick walls about 7feet tall
with one window & sill 2 foot deep and 3 feet wide with small fixed end windows and a centre one that you could slide to open.
Having said all that, it was a lovely warm & wecoming home on a cold winters evening to come home to, the little court yard outside was cobbled and could be a bit of a challange in winter with the ice on the cobbles.
You can see these cottages in the image bank if you put Chesham Fold in the search of course they didnt look as bad as in this photo I think it was taken in the 1800s and they had a bit of work done on them since, after we left Chesham Cottages they were bought and made into one and given a modern update which to my mind completely ruined them.
David Platt
David Platt
David Platt

Back to top Go down

No 2 Chesham Cottages Empty Bury Image Bank

Post  Roy Turner Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:41 am

If you want to check out the pictures of Chesham Fold in the image bank and haven't heard of it, click here and bookmark the page which comes up:

Bury Image Bank

Regards,
Roy Turner

Roy Turner

http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

No 2 Chesham Cottages Empty Chesham fold

Post  David Platt Sat May 07, 2011 9:17 am

Alas these Cottages have been demolished to make
way for new extenstions to the residential home Sad
David
David Platt