BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hairdressers

4 posters

Go down

Hairdressers Empty Hairdressers

Post  kaywallbank Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:41 am

My Gr Grandfather Richard Henry Dearden was a hairdresser in Ramsbottom and Bury.
I am trying to find photos of the premises he held. The 1st was 38 The Rock (a Bank...presume he had rooms upstairs) and the other was at 13 Walmersley Road, which I presume is now long gone!
We have a photo of a wedding couple of the family outside a building which has the name of Dearden, Hairdresssers on a plaque. This is brick built. Could this be Walmersley Road? Does anyone know of any photos?
I am new to this forum, so unaware how to send photos. I have a couple of posters which may be of interest if you could let me know of an email address to send.
Thanks for your help
Kay

kaywallbank

Back to top Go down

Hairdressers Empty Your G Grandad

Post  David Platt Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:56 am

1888 – Richard Dearden, hairdresser this shop 9c & d Bridge street, is listed on the Ramsbottom Heritage Site
give it a go they might know more.
Dave Very Happy

Last edited by David Platt on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found address)
David Platt
David Platt

Back to top Go down

Hairdressers Empty Hairdresser in Bury

Post  kaywallbank Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:07 am

Thanks David. We have worked out where his premises were in Rammy, but it's the Walmersley Road one which we are puzzled about. Wondered if any old photos of the early stretch of the Road have survived (No.13)
Thanks
Kay

kaywallbank

Back to top Go down

Hairdressers Empty hairdressers

Post  curtis44 Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:15 am

Google bury image bank and enter walmersley road in the search box.

Navigate to page 20 and click on image b 13189.

Hope this helps.

curtis44

Back to top Go down

Hairdressers Empty 13 Walmersley Road, Bury

Post  kaywallbank Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:13 pm

Thank you very much for pointing me to the photo archive. Now I am puzzled. I have a poster of my Gr Grandfather which states he has hairdressing premises at 13 Walmersley Road, Moorside, Bury. However the archive photo shows that it is the Wheatsheaf Pub! I have a photo of the marriage of his daughter outside what I presumed was no. 13 in 1917. If anyone would like to see the poster and photo I will happily forward them. A hairdressers and pub in same building! Anyone any ideas?
Regards
Kay

kaywallbank

Back to top Go down

Hairdressers Empty 13 Walmersley Road

Post  Roy Turner Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:04 pm

It is possible that the Wheatsheaf pub was no. 13 and was used partly as a hairdressers. It was not unusual at the start of the 20th century for pubs to have other activities or businesses within their premises. I live near the Pack Horse Inn at Birtle and before the last war it was apparently possible to go for a pint, have your hair cut, have your horse shoed and even get someone laid out for a funeral (after they had died of course). It was a way to attract customers who might not have otherwise entered the pub!

Roy Turner

http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hairdressers Empty Hairdresser in Bury, Walmersley Road.

Post  kaywallbank Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks Roy, that sounds like a logical explanation.
Kay

kaywallbank

Back to top Go down

Hairdressers Empty Re: Hairdressers

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum