BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murder - 3rd May 1843

Go down

Murder - 3rd May 1843 Empty Murder - 3rd May 1843

Post  Tinman07 Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:03 am

Hi All,

My great, great, great grandfather was murdered at the Bury Fair in 1843 and I inherited a hand copied account from what appeared to be a type of thing, printed at Shudehill in Manchester. It was 'The Verses of James Heywood Farmer and Cow Doctor of Unsworth'. I have sadly lost the original over the years and now no longer know who the printer actually was. But the rest is available in 'Word format'.

I can email this to anyone interested, but would most of all love to hear from anyone who can offer more detail about either the case or the man. He's my ggg-gf but I only know of one son, and I'm sure that in those days there would have been more, or any news of his forebears or genealogy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stewart Heywood

Tinman07

Back to top Go down

Murder - 3rd May 1843 Empty Re: Murder - 3rd May 1843

Post  Tinman07 Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:23 am

David Platt wrote:

In 1859, the 8th Lancashire (Bury) Rifle Volunteer Corps was formed and a new Drill Hall was proposed. In 1868 the Drill Hall, or Castle Armoury, was built on the historical site of Bury Castle.

just found this in a different thread... now wondering where the original Drill Hall was, as this was the site of the killing.

Stewart

Tinman07

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum