BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Public Houses Stand Lane, Pilkington c1860 ?

4 posters

Go down

Help!    Public Houses Stand Lane, Pilkington c1860 ? Empty Help! Public Houses Stand Lane, Pilkington c1860 ?

Post  MalcToy Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:42 am

Hello.

Although not an avid genealogist, I have in my possession the birth certificate of my maternal grandfather, WILLIAM BUCKLEY who according to the document was born on 25th December 1859 in Stand Lane, Pilkington the son of John Buckley & Jane Buckley (nee Martindale) of Stand Lane, Pilkington. John Buckley's profession is down as 'Inn Keeper'

Whilst not shown on any current day maps, I understand that Pilkington is now an area of Bury. Can anyone confirm this and are there any pubs or inns still in Stand Lane that may have been there in the 1850's/1860's ?

Unfortunately, no more detailed address is shown other than Stand Lane. If the building is still standing, it would perhaps be nice to visit.

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

Malcolm Sperring-Toy

Last edited by MalcToy on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:25 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Lack of response)

MalcToy

Back to top Go down

Help!    Public Houses Stand Lane, Pilkington c1860 ? Empty Alice Hawthorn

Post  David Platt Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:57 am

Hi Malcolm,
The one Pub/Hotel in stand lane that springs to mind is the Alice Hawtorn, its on the left as
you travel up hill out of Radcliffe, My Dad used to take me in on a Sunday when I was a Boy 1950s
We used to live in Chapelfield back of the Nut factory. Pilkington was also a part of Radclife I think ?
the CO-OPs in Radclife were listed Radclife & Pilkington Co-oprative.
David
David Platt
David Platt

Back to top Go down

Help!    Public Houses Stand Lane, Pilkington c1860 ? Empty Pilkington

Post  Roy Turner Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 am

Yes, Pilkington was, as far as I recall, around the Whitefield end of Stand Lane and I suppose strictly speaking the area is now in the Bury Metropolitan Borough. The Co-ops in Radcliffe were indeed Radcliffe and Pilkington Co-operative Society. We used to have one in Dumers Lane when I was a boy; also there was one in Bury Street, Radcliffe, between Top o'th Cross and Church Green, near the Parish School.

Roy Turner

http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Help!    Public Houses Stand Lane, Pilkington c1860 ? Empty Stand Lane, Pilkington

Post  Radcliffe Mick Fri May 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Pilkington started at the river Irwell, as does Stand Lane (despite Google maps) the first pub is just past the bridge The Woolpack, next, The Ram Hotel, (possibly not there in 1860 as it is now), Wellington Inn, British Queen, Swan Inn, Alice Hawthorn, finally, The Bay Horse, (which is in "Chapelfield") these pubs seem to have been built around 1880s,(I think). If you open Google maps on Peel Street, m26. and zoom in to the river, you can "walk" up Stand Lane and view all of these Inns.

Last edited by Radcliffe Mick on Sat May 21, 2011 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Further info.)

Radcliffe Mick

Back to top Go down

Help!    Public Houses Stand Lane, Pilkington c1860 ? Empty Re: Help! Public Houses Stand Lane, Pilkington c1860 ?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down