BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

History of Affetside, help if possible?

4 posters

Go down

History of Affetside, help if possible? Empty History of Affetside, help if possible?

Post  bamber Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:24 am

hello,

can anyone here help with some local history information about changes in the Bury/Bolton Parish boundary near to Eccles Wives at Affetside?

thanks in advance.

bamber

Back to top Go down

History of Affetside, help if possible? Empty Re: History of Affetside, help if possible?

Post  Bury1 Fri May 01, 2009 2:19 am

This doesn't directly answer your question but it contains some other interesting stuff relating to Affetside itself burydem.bury.gov.uk/aksbury/images/att9693.doc

Bury1

Back to top Go down

History of Affetside, help if possible? Empty Re: History of Affetside, help if possible?

Post  bamber Fri May 01, 2009 2:33 am

bury1,

thanks for that. I emailed someone at the council about this report only yesterday. I had heard about the meeting last year but too late to attend in person. It has some interesting info in the link.

thanks again.

bamber

Back to top Go down

Post  Bury1 Fri May 01, 2009 7:48 am

I emailed the author, Mick Nightingale, 3 weeks ago, but as yet he hasn't bothered to reply.

Bury1

Back to top Go down

Post  bamber Fri May 01, 2009 7:52 am

ok, thanks again. There is a phone number on the report, I will give it a ring and let you know if I get anywhere.

bamber

Back to top Go down

Post  Bury1 Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:59 am

Did you get anywhere with Mr Nightingale?

Bury1

Back to top Go down

Post  bamber Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:43 am

hello bury1,

thanks for asking but no not really. he couldn't help much with the enquiry I had because it dates to around 600-1500ad.

bamber

Back to top Go down

History of Affetside, help if possible? Empty Affetside Boundaries 600-1500ad

Post  speakela Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:50 am

Hi Bamber,

if it helps. some research I have been doing indicates that it was the monasteries that defined the parish boundaries in the middle ages and that they were often marked with a cross. Whalley Abbey was completed in the early 1200's. but Stanlow and Monks Bretonne are two that I have come across that owned land in the local area prior to that and there was a claim that the wealth of Whalley Church actually belonged to Pontefract at the time the Abbey was being established.

At least some of the Bury area fell within the Salford Hundreds and you may have to look at wider history than the local parish to find what you need. The De Laci's/Earls of Derby were the main landowners.

regards

speakela

Back to top Go down

Post  bamber Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:56 am

hello,

and thanks for the info. the dates involved are throwing up all kinds of stuff so its good to have something more substantial.

thanks again.

bamber

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike D Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Bamber,

There was a small book produced by Turton Local History Society and written by Jim Francis (an Affetside resident) that gives a very detailed history of Affetside right up to the early 1980's.

If you want to PM me I may be able to forward you a copy.

Hope this helps,

M.

Mike D

Back to top Go down

History of Affetside, help if possible? Empty affetside

Post  bamber Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:33 am

hello mike,

thanks for the info. I read a copy of this at tottington library early in the year on a chance visit. It is very informative and came up with a few surprising tidbits.

thanks again for taking the trouble to pass on the message,

Steve b

bamber

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down