BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8th Lancashire (Bury) Rifle Volunteers

2 posters

Go down

8th Lancashire (Bury) Rifle Volunteers Empty 8th Lancashire (Bury) Rifle Volunteers

Post  rgw Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:48 am

I have been looking for any information regarding the Volunteer movement in Bury. As far as can make out the corps was very active and at most times oversubscribed, even though they had to, in the main, provide, or at least make a contribution to, their uniform and equipment. I have one photo of the officers from around 1860, Colonel Hutchinson in command and would much appreciate if anyone knows of anymore. My interest stems from my Gt-Gt Grandfather who joined in 1860 (a year after formation) and retired as Colour Sergeant in 1882.
Any info would be gratefully recieved.

rgw

Back to top Go down

8th Lancashire (Bury) Rifle Volunteers Empty Re: 8th Lancashire (Bury) Rifle Volunteers

Post  David Platt Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 am

Hi rgw
This is all I have been able to find and this was passed to me by cpt(retired )J Eastwood of the Lancashire Fusiliers Website.
Hope it helps. Dave
There were a number of these Militia Units throughout Lancashire ,usually formed about 1859 and trained by and supported by a regular Unit, they were the precursors of the TA.

In 1859, the 8th Lancashire (Bury) Rifle Volunteer Corps was formed and a new Drill Hall was proposed. In 1868 the Drill Hall, or Castle Armoury, was built on the historical site of Bury Castle.
David Platt
David Platt

Back to top Go down