BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bury in 1461?

2 posters

Go down

Bury in 1461? Empty Bury in 1461?

Post  JaneWilliams Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:42 am

This is research for an on-line game / shared fiction writing project. I seem to have just "acquired" Bury, in something approximating to the year 1461. I'm trying to find out what the place would have been like - major roads, buildings, and so on. I gather there would have been a parish church in the same location as the present one, but not the current building. The "Castle" was a manor house, not yet fortified. There was a Old Market, but that seems to have changed location - was it where the statue of Robert Peel now stands? (Did it sell Black Pudding?)
Can anyone point me at a reasonably early map, or at least tell me which roads might date back that far, and any other landmarks or known buildings?

JaneWilliams

Back to top Go down

Bury in 1461? Empty Bury in 1461

Post  Roy Turner Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:26 am

Hello Jane.
Your description of the old town in the 15th century is about right. The old Market was where Robert Peel's statue now stands. Not sure when Black Puddings were invented. For old maps you could log on to Old Mapsand ask for details of Bury Lancashire, but the earliest maps they seem to have only go back as far as the 19th century. Have a look anyway because it is an interesting website.
There would be a road along the line of the A58 Bolton and possibly Manchester Old Road roughly along the A56 to Manchester but I don't know of much else as early as you say.

Regards,
Roy

Roy Turner

http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down