BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OLD PUBS IN BURY

+3
Duckworth Hall
Roy Turner
judyk
7 posters

Go down

OLD PUBS IN BURY Empty OLD PUBS IN BURY

Post  judyk Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:09 am

Can anyone help me to name as many old pubs in Bury that have now been demolished? I have been volunteered by my local club to do the research and I thought this must be an ideal site to use?

The one that is challenging us was near the old bus station in RochdaleRd. Only very small in a side Street, are there any copies of OLD PUBS available to me.

And also where was the 'HAND & SHEARS?

'CHEERS' Smile

judyk

Back to top Go down

OLD PUBS IN BURY Empty Old Pubs in Bury

Post  Roy Turner Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Hello.

There was a pub on George Street, just off Rochdale Road and near the bus depot, called the FREE TRADE INN. I wonder if this is the one you are thinking of.

THE HAND AND SHEARS, according to one of our club members, was on The Rock near Lepps Jewellers (between Union Street and Crompton Street) and facing Woolworth's, when they were there.

Regards,
Roy Turner

Roy Turner

http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

OLD PUBS IN BURY Empty OLD PUBS

Post  judyk Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:20 am

Many thanks for all the replies on Old Pubs in Bury. I have actually found nearly every one in Bury! How - a wonderful helpful lady in Bury Library, who at the moment is working on the same search as me, she has complied a list and as many photos as she can. It solved all my answers. A great read.

It is very interesting if anyone wants to go and view, in the reference section, there is also very interesting books from Fred Campbell, but out of print now- shame.

Keep up the good work in the library.

judyk

Back to top Go down

OLD PUBS IN BURY Empty Pub Photo

Post  Duckworth Hall Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi Judyk
I have a photo of the Grey Mare Haymarket Street Bury circa 1890 if you are interested.
mail@hound77.fsnet.co.uk ........I'm not sure if I can send you the photo via this site, so that's my email.

Best wishes
Duckworth Hall
(Lancaster

Duckworth Hall

http://www.myspace.com/southboundatticband

Back to top Go down

OLD PUBS IN BURY Empty Re: OLD PUBS IN BURY

Post  Bury1 Tue May 05, 2009 5:50 am

apparently the house opposite the white horse in walshaw used to be a pub, does anyone know what it was called or when it closed? It must have a long long time ago.

Bury1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:55 am

Just to add a little to this thread. I have a copy of Glenn Worth's book " A history of Whitefield pubs and associated historical facts" This i a high quality glossy paper back book available on internet priced around £9
Prestwich & WhitefieldHeritage Society, have what looks like a cheaper version by the same author, but priced at just £3.50 + £1.50 P+P and they also have a book " A history of Prestwich pubs " by David Rowlinson priced £3.50 + £1.50 P+P. Google and both come up.
Ben
Ben

http://manchesterfamilyhist.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

OLD PUBS IN BURY Empty Pubs on Crostons Road, Elton

Post  DFELTON Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:01 am

My friends and I have been searching for the pubs that where on Crostons road before WW2. We have had some success but have failed to find the whereabouts of the "Waterloo". Can anyone help?
We believe this pub existed as my dad would quote the old rhyme "Help me thru, Waterloo, Dusty Miller and Church
Inn too".

DFELTON

Back to top Go down

OLD PUBS IN BURY Empty Pubs on Crostons Rd.,Elton

Post  DFELTON Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:58 am

Could the missing "Waterloo" be the New Inn on the junction of Tottington Rd. and Walshaw Rd. It is feasible to think that on doing a pub crawl from the Help Me Thru one could go up Hulme St. and across to what was shown on the 1890 maps as the New Inn. This pub seams to be a mystery as apart from it being shown on maps I have been unable to find anything else about it. Could at some point its name was changed to Waterloo?
Can anybody help with information about this pub?

DFELTON

Back to top Go down

OLD PUBS IN BURY Empty crostons rd missing pubs.

Post  jpmurray681 Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:17 am

On the 1908 OS map for bury west the waterloo can be seen between the Help and the Dusty but on the other side of crostons rd. All the individual houses are shown in the terrace which is a continuation of the still existing terrace on the side road which goes down to join the modern woodhill rd.
The waterloo is the 5th building up the road counting as if one was stood by the side of the now sadly shut Dusty Miller. It is shown as a building which is about twice as wide as the neighbouring propertys.
Ive checked that I'm right by counting back from the other pubs which I know the address number of.
I've also compiled a list of all the pubs within the boro boundary which have shut in my lifetime (most of which I've drunk in) and there are about a hundred. An odd one is just outside the boundary, such as the Nab Gate ( now Baci's Italian restaurant) near Harwood.

jpmurray681

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down