BURY LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester

3 posters

Go down

Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Empty Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester

Post  despard Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:13 am

Hi everyone,

I have recently been doing some investigation into the history of the area around Old Blackford Bridge and the old section of road that served Manchester to Bury before the new road and the new 'Blackford Bridge' was constructed. I have compared old maps and new maps, collected old photographs, and newspaper cuttings and have found some interesting discoveries. Is there anyone out there that is also interested in the history of this area? If so it would be nice to exchange information and discuss findings. So please get in touch,

Many thanks.

despard

Back to top Go down

Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Empty blackford bridge

Post  bobbie blue Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:37 pm

WEDNESDAY, 9TH DECEMBER, 2009
FROM: CHARLES WALKER, VICE-CHAIRMAN, BURY AND DISTRICT LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY
TO: "DESPARD"

Let me have your E-Mail address - I want to contact you about Blackford Bridge.

Contact me via E-Mail:- charleswalker56@hotmail. Put your "settings" on high prioity. It will avoid my junkmail box.

Yours Sincerely,

CHARLES WALKER

bobbie blue

Back to top Go down

Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Empty Blackford Bridge

Post  David Platt Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:02 am

Hi Despard,
Dont know if this is of any use but I used to work at Eagle Bleaching
at Blackford Bridge just over the bridge its self on the right hand side
nearly opposite the Pub (Bridge inn ? ) and at the back of the mill was
a rather old bridge going over the Irwell.
Some say it was a Roman foot Bridge Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Icon_neutral and some say it was the old road bridge
for pack animals, but at the time it was in a very bad state of repair, mind I
am going back to 1963 I dont know if it is still standing or not. Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Icon_rolleyes
Dave
David Platt
David Platt

Back to top Go down

Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Empty Old Blackford Bridge

Post  despard Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:18 pm

Dave

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply. I don’t know whether you know that the Bridge Inn is no longer there. It was destroyed in a gas explosion around the late 90s. It appears the bridge was some sort of bridge for pack animals, but I would add that it may have been more significant than that, I think it was the original route for traffic between Manchester and Bury so was likely to be used by carts carrying people and goods. It appears it was built in 1755 but with the accelerating pace of the industrial revolution it was quickly superseded by the 'new' Manchester Road Blackford Bridge this one was eventually rebuilt in 1904 with the one we see today. The Old Bridge is probably still similar to when you seen it back in the 60s. It still has one span in tact but it looks as though it is slowly giving in. The factory is no longer there but since its demolition nothing has been done to the area and so lots of curious things still stand proud. These include large baths probably six in total all together made from old york stone. A red (modern brick) cabin just by the river, what appears to be a large reservoir up the hill slightly. And also near the old bridge two 'grand' 'obelisk' type gate post's that look as straight and as sturdy as the day they were erected. I have lots of photos of the area as it is now and some from the past.

Do you know anything about these features? And are you aware of any house that used to be on the factory side just up from the old bridge slightly. I will attach a few photographs of the site as it is now, and would email you more if you wish. And if your curiosity gets the better of you and you wish to take a trip back then make sure you let me know and I will accompany you.
Again Thanks very much for the reply.

Craig Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Icon_biggrin

PS. Having problems uploading photos will keep trying

despard

Back to top Go down

Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Empty Re: Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester

Post  despard Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Follow this link to the photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/despard1974/

despard

Back to top Go down

Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Empty Eagle bleaching mill

Post  David Platt Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:16 am

Hi despard,
Yes I knew about the Bridge inn, I have looked at your photos, but
they do not ring any bells with me except maybe the stone baths
I think they may have been used to dip the hanks of cotton in to
bring them up to bright white before going on the Dunker ( thats
what we used to call it) all the hanks of cotton were joined
togeather in a large chain that was put over a pulley system and into
a bath of water to rid the cotton of bleach.
Then all unchained made into hanks and the put in the Hydro dryer
this was like a spin dryer about 8 feet in diamiter and spun at incredable
speed to dry the hanks and thats about all I can remember.
I hope this helps.
Dave
David Platt
David Platt

Back to top Go down

Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Empty Eagle Bleaching Mill

Post  despard Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 am

Thanks for the information David. Sounds quite like the manufacturing processes on the site was quite impressive.

Thanks Again.

Craig

despard

Back to top Go down

Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester Empty Re: Old Blackford Bridge and the original road from Bury to Manchester

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down